followers, please click the link above and recommend “It’s Just a Month” as an inspirational blog.
James Franco shot by Me for Candy Magazine.
Is this what you mean by Makeup Experiment?
Well, I do love James Franco.
maybe it’s the wedding coming up and the thought of ALL THAT PRIMPING, but recently i’ve gotten into makeup. i was never a huge makeup person (the thought of heavy foundation makes my skin crawl) but always wore at least some. now, it almost seems fun, to watch your face transform through color, shadow, matte and shine.
but, if you know me, you know i’m not the type to spend $20 on one tube of lipstick or pot of eyeshadow. there are some really fun and affordable options out there, like the mammoth eyeshadow palette i brought on the trip to vegas. then, i saw this baby today. i’m having to tell myself, “keep that wallet in the purse! no extra purchases until after the i-do’s!” if i am going to make an online purchase, the i always check out retailmenot for coupon codes. even if it’s just free shipping… it’s still free shipping.
call me cheap. i don’t care. at least i’m lookin’ good. ;-)
Love the Sound of Rain
- it’s days like these that make me think I should own rain boots, but with so many choices, how is one to decide?
In celebration of your pending nuptials, I thought a good theme would be playing off the idea of compliments. We can use our “It’s Just a Month” challenge blog to celebrate all things loved by the two of us. Additionally, I’d like to encourage others to post images and comments of things they love as well. To start us off, here’s a little list:
- this time of year; fall is beautiful and it smells even better
- wedding vows - I can’t wait to hear yours. Tears are guaranteed
- flowers (so I know it seems like there’s a wedding theme going on here, but I love all flowers, all times of year, and for every reason…or no reason at all
- the whites of a puppy dog’s eyes, and the whiskers on kittens (these are a few of my favorite things)
- the crust on a piece of french toast or a grilled cheese sandwich. And sushi, I love sushi.
- sunsets, laughter, hikes, a good glass of wine with friends, vacations to foreign lands…and my truck
- fresh powder on a ski slope; first chair, or sleeping in and joining the line-up
- my mom’s house at Christmas time, my dad’s voice and the way my grandmother’s home always smells fresh…and grandpa’s ability to fix anything (or at least read all the instructions). And…Ahmad’s silly jokes.
- a long phone call with Lisa Payerle, Sarah Dues or Chris Gordon; IM Chats with Lori and Emilie; weekday afternoons with Ali; “instructions” from Mr. Payerle, advice from Mr. Gordon and Mrs. Payerle’s cooking…even on a random Tuesday night.
- the smell of cut grass, a clean house and lake water mixed with gasoline
- and that place, in his arms, where you’re lying with your head tucked in his shoulder. All the world seems right.
I guess one of the hardest things about challenges is when you break your routine and have to come up with another way of accomplishing the same thing. I’m pretty sure we maintained the challenge while in Vegas, but I’m wondering if all our letters got sent.
I still have a postcard or two, so I think I’ll send those in addition…just to be safe.
So I didn’t really research the etymology of the word “
Estrange ment,” but if you ask me the word “strange” is pretty clear. I agree with you about the “being proud,” of your mom. I mean, I know it is human nature to think we are in the right and that others are naturally the “wrong” ones, but the fact that she hasn’t chosen to shun you seems like the appropriate decision. If anything it, to me, seems based off of more logic than what your grandparents seem to be basing their decisions off of.
I just don’t understand it when family chooses not to speak. In my own family, my mother and my brother went over a year or two without speaking. I kid you not when I say it started over an arguement about him helping her move furniture. While both parties will get angry with me when I choose not to take sides, I can empathize with the hurt and reasoning behind each of their behaviors. What I can’t understand is the willingness to go without words for so long. After my Uncle’s Wedding in May things got a bit better, but my brother still seems to hesitate with the communication. On another note, my mom also speaks very rarely with her sister, yet when they come together they seem to have the best time ever. My cousin snapped photos of the two of them drinking strait from wine bottles together the night before my Uncle’s wedding.
It’s all just very…well…strange.
oh lisa frank! take a seal, give it huge eyes and some purple embossing, and entrance girls everywhere. haven’t thought about that wonderful junk in a long time!
yeah, i’ve been using a mixture of cards and paper we having hanging about in random desk drawers. i burned through a stockpile of blank cards pretty quickly. one of dave’s co-workers has an adult autistic brother who lives with her. he’s really into exercise and eating healthy. whenever we make a big batch of veggie soup or turkey chili, we freeze the leftovers and dave gives them to his co-worker, because her brother LOVES it. he’s also really into taking nature photographs and has used an online printing source to make some into blank cards, which he gave us as a thank you for all the soup and chili. kinda a random way to come into some stationary, huh? well, they’re all gone. i’ve scribbled on all of them. now i’m interspersing a few blank asian-themed cards with just regular paper. well, i can’t wear a dress every day, now can i? sometimes you just have to roll regular-like.
totally different update: finally talked with my mom about our whole experience, and told her she might be hearing about it from the g’parents. turns out she won’t be, because they aren’t really talking at the moment, and haven’t very much since she moved back to the carolinas. bummer, huh? i feel bad that she’s been put in the middle, but (and this does sound bad) i’m proud of her. not that she “picked” me or anything. it’s just, well… i think it’d hurt if she just pretended like it wasn’t happening. but how can you pretend your child doesn’t exist? the whole thing just makes me want to sigh.
so i guess i will. and maybe go get some more pretty paper or cards.